Friday, November 02, 2012

Are You Afraid of the Art? Show at Gallery 27


When Gallery 27 in Chicago invited me to their "Are You Afraid of the Art?" Nickelodeon tribute show, I just couldn't say no. That was easy. Trying to decide what to do for it was hard.

I grew up on Nickelodeon programming, starting in the early 80s when all they had were old TV reruns and Canadian exports they aquired like "You Can't Do That On Television" and then continued watching through the mid 90s when they introduced Nick Toons and ground breaking shows like "Pete & Pete."

While I had ideas for 3 pieces, I only had time to do two, so I did one from each end of the spectrum of my Nickelodeon watching expierence. 

The first one, above is a lovely portrait of the character Barth from "You Can't Do That On Television." It's a 9" x 12" digital piece titled "Duh, I HEARD THAT!" — his signature line after the kids in the burger shop would tease about "Who do you think's IN THE BURGER."

The next piece is a tribute to Powdered Toast Man from "The Ren & Stimpy Show." It's  9" x 12", ink, ink wash and Copic Marker on paper and is titled "LEAVE EVERYTHING TO ME!" 

I had plans for a Pete & Pete Mr. Tastee piece to round out the food theme I was going for, but just ran out of time. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

The show will have it's opening reception tonight (Nov. 2) from 6 - 10 p.m. If you happen to be in Chicago and love classic Nickelodeon, go check it out! More info about the gallery can be found here.

Update: Both pieces are now up for sale on Gallery 27's site. You can purchase Barth here and Powdered Toast Man here!

No comments: